About Greater Boston Young Professionals Kiwanis
The GBYP Kiwanis Club was organized with the goal of bringing together young professionals from throughout the Greater Boston region to serve our community. Through hands of service and monthly socials/meetings, we strive to create a community of service-minded young people who actively make a difference in the Greater Boston community. We engage in a variety of service projects with an emphasis on projects that serve children and those in need in the Greater Boston area.
Greater Boston Young Professionals Kiwanis strives to:
- Support the Greater Boston communities through service,
- Enhance professional opportunities through networking,
- Develop friendships through social events, and
- Develop our members professionally through leadership opportunities.
What is Kiwanis?
Kiwanis International is a global organization of volunteers dedicated to improving the world one child and one community at a time. Kiwanis strives to be a positive influence in communities worldwide so that one day, all children will wake up in communities that believe in them, nurture them, and provide the support they need to thrive. Each community is different, so each Kiwanis Club is different.
Kiwanis Clubs sponsor various Service Leadership Programs, including Circle K International (for college/university students), Key Club International (for high school students), Builders Club (for middle school students), K-Kids clubs (for elementary school students), and Aktion Clubs (for adults living with disabilities). Our Kiwanis Club co-sponsors the Circle K International club at Boston University.
What Makes a Young Professionals Club Different?
Our Kiwanis Club focuses on the Kiwanis International mission of “serving the children of the world,” but functions in a way that is better suited to the lives of young professionals. For example, we:
- Hold monthly, informal meetings instead of weekly meetings with speakers.
- Emphasize hands-on service over fundraising and check-writing.
- Limit the cost of membership with reduced dues, no fixed meal cost at meetings, and no appeals for donations from members.
- Focus on fun and service over Kiwanis traditions.
History of our Kiwanis Club
The Kiwanis Club of Greater Boston Young Professionals was organized on October 15, 2015 and celebrated its charter ceremony on December 4, 2015 with 19 charter members.
Our Kiwanis Club is now entering into its third year of service to the Greater Boston communities. Our goals in this year are to:
- Provide hands-on service to local organizations such as that serve children and people in need.
- Develop a network for Key Club and Circle K International alumni who now live in Greater Boston.
- Continue to support the Circle K International chapter at Boston University.
- Develop service programs to promote literacy for children in the City of Boston.